Point Pleasant Park lies on a rocky 75-hectare (185 acre) promontory jutting into the Atlantic Ocean at the eastern end of the Halifax peninsula, in Nova Scotia, Canada.
This park has been a place of recreation for the citizens of Halifax since the city's founding in 1749. Before that, it was a hunting, fishing, and ceremonial area for the indigenous Mi'kmaq people.
Until 1866, Point Pleasant was primarily a military bastion, but in that year it was leased to a newly formed commission for a public park.
Trees were planted in its early years as a park and it soon became an urban forest where citizens could find an oasis of peace close to the bustling city.
This much-loved park is open year round for a variety of uses, including walking, picnicking, skiing, cycling and dog walking.
Its shoreline provides magnificent views of ships and yachts entering and leaving Halifax's busy harbour and it has a complex system of roads and trails that wind among rocky hills, low cliffs and valleys.
For many people Point Pleasant Park is a symbol of Halifax, and of the way they choose to live their lives: in a city, close to the land and forest, close to nature, close to the sea.